Dr. Read is also a visiting professor at various universities, with several published papers on the subject of IT investment portfolio value, IT strategy, and IT governance. He graduated with a bachelor’s degree in management science and subsequently earned an M.B.A. and an M.Ed. in organizational change management. In 2005, Tony earned his Ph.D. in information systems and was elected into the Honor Society of Computing Sciences, being awarded the Upsilon Pi Epsilon. Tony is a dual U.K.–U.S.A citizen, residing in Canada; he regularly travels for speaking engagements at various conferences and corporate events.
The Vision = IT Value and the Mission = Value IT
- 25 years international experience in the data, telecommunications, hi-tec., retail, banking , and financial services sectors.
- 15 years at an IT exectutive level, within two global corporations & a new venture start-up.
- Managed global IT operations strategy, application development & support, infrastructure management, enterprise-wide system deployment, process re-engineering, project management, outsourcing & consulting.
- Highly educated- B.Sc., D.I.S., M.B.A., M.Ed., Ph.D., plus technical qualifications
- Published author and conference speaker on IT- governance, strategy, investment, risk, & value management.
READ & ASSOCIATES, (Orlando, U.S. & Toronto, Canada) Oct 2003 - Present
Managing Partner. IT management and project management consulting practice.
Select Clients include:
- Indigo Chapters (Toronto, Canada)
- Merdian Credit Union (Toronto, Canada)
- Telus (Toronto, Canada)
- Convergys (Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Salt Lake, U.S., & London, U.K.)
- Bell Canada (Toronto, Canada)
- CIBC (Toronto, Canada)
- Cyrca (San Francisco, U.S. & Toronto, Canada)
CANADIAN IMPERIAL BANK OF COMMERCE, NY, U.S. & Toronto, Canada. Feb 2002 – June 2003
SVP, Strategy & Service Excellence, Technology and Operations (T & O).
- Responsibilities: T & O strategic direction, portfolio/investment management, performance measurement, value realization, industry analysis, benchmarking, & client satisfaction initiatives.
- Accomplishments: Built new position overseeing strategy & service excellence.
- Defined T & O corporate strategy – “Better service at lower costs”, aligning to business units & identifying $150m cost reduction over 3 years. 2003 cost reduction target on track at $34m, while improving service.
- Created new service model culture – “Client-first” training & development initiative. Plus, designed & deployed client satisfaction performance measurement instruments, including analysis & reporting.
CONVERGENCE COMMUNICATION (CCI), Miami, U.S. May 2000 – Feb 2002
CIO & SVP IT. CCI was a CLEC & ISP, operating in 9 Latin American countries. Start-up - $150m investment.
- Responsibilities: All IT functions, including: infrastructure, OSS, Customer Care (CRM), & Billing systems. Lead e-Business & built customer Value Added Services, i.e. Hosting.
- Accomplishments: From start, built IT operations & staff across 5 countries.
- Defined & deployed e-Business & customer care common processes, replacing 5 legacy operations, saving $4m/year. Implemented Portal billing system & Siebel CRM pilot.
2. Built e-Marketing system - led content mgmt, marketing communications & product marketing functions.
3. Implemented common IT Infrastructure - WAN/LAN network, DNS, email, server & desktop. Outsourced NT environment to Exodus & built data center in Mexico, saving $1.5m/year.
NORTEL NETWORKS, Nashville, Miami, San Jose, & Dallas, U.S. & Maidenhead U.K. Mar 1992 – May 2000
- Responsibilities: Global program management for the deployment of e-CRM – Clarify.
VP IT & CIO, Wireless Business.
- Responsibilities: SBU IT strategy, investment & program management.
VP IT & CIO, Caribbean & Latin America.
- Responsibilities: SBU IT strategy, investment, & operations.
VP IT & Knowledge Management.
- Responsibilities: Global customer information & knowledge management.
Overlapping roles - managing between 55 - 185 staff, $10m - $52m direct budget, & indirectly managing an additional $90m in IT investments & consumption costs.
- Accomplishments: During the 6 years of executive tenure, managed four distinct & overlapping IT portfolios.
- Initiated, designed, & deployed Sales.com, a global intranet sales & marketing body of knowledge, to 15,000 users, with 10,000 documents & 25,000 web links- realizing an audited $56m of annual savings.
- Led e-business strategy, deployed to major customers/partners, producing $10m/month revenue.
- Re-engineered SCM processes, moved $500m Brazilian business into an integrated Baan system for manufacturing, logistics, inventory & financials. Implemented in France within 6 months.
- Standardized financial systems, implementing Oracle 10.7 financials across Latin American region.
- Reduced infrastructure operating costs by $6m/year, from ATM/Frame Relay network, HP UNIX server consolidation, legacy decommission, desktop standards, help desk, & Y2K.
- Established disaster recovery center, business continuity process, eliminated audit issues, & no Y2K issues
- Deployed CRM globally, established PMO processes & governance, gained approval for $18m investment. Integrated program with e-business & SCM initiatives- for end-to-end web enabled processes. Implemented Clarify into various business units and regions, for marketing, sales, service & call centers.
- Won 'Presidents Award' for leadership & industry recognition for Sales.com. Won 'Presidents Awards' for: Pegasus- cross product order & contract management application, & Powernet- B2B application.
- Created the CIO forum, a conference to showcase IT solutions & build customer relationships.
- Corporate IT business planning, led CIO office for planning, communications, & service excellence.
REUTERS, London, UK. Group Manager, International Business Development, Voice Products. 1989 – 1992
CONTEL, London, UK. Business Systems, General Manager. 1984 – 1989
UNISYS, London, UK. Project Manager –Systems Analyst. 1982 – 1984
Ph.D., Information Systems, Nova Southeastern University, FL, U.S. (2005)
M.Ed., Organization Development/Change Management, Vanderbilt University, TN, U.S. (1998)
M.B.A., Kingston University Business School, U.K. (1991)
B.Sc., Management Science (Information Mgmt Major), Loughborough University of Tech., U.K. (1981)
D.I.S., Cranfield Business School, U.K. (1981)
Upsilon Pi Epsilon, Honor Society in the Computing Sciences, elected 2004.
U.S. National Security Agency Part-Certified, Committee on National Security Systems standards compliance.
Who’s Who Executives and Professionals, International Register elected 2000 & National (U.S.) Register elected 2002.
Copyright © 2009, Tony J. Read, Read & Associates. All rights reserved.